Visa and Flight

Immigration information

Please read the information below to see if you are required by the Hong Kong SAR Government to obtain a visa for immigration.

If you need a visa to enter Hong Kong, China, the Asia Case Research Centre (ACRC) can issue individual invitation letters to facilitate your application. The individual invitation letter will include (i) the individual’s name, (ii) type of passport and passport number, and (iii) the proposed itinerary of the visit. It will also be stated that all on-the-ground expenses will be covered by ACRC as part of the application requirement. Please provide us with personal particulars (i and ii) for the issuance of the letter.

In addition to the invitation letter the ACRC will also be able to provide a Hong Kong Immigration Department form ID 1003B Application for Entry for Visit/Transit (Sponsor) in Hong Kong, as well as a letter from the hotel confirming your reservation. Please contact the ACRC if you need any of the above.

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport, British National (Overseas) Passport, Hong Kong Certificate of Identity, Hong Kong Re-entry permit (for entry from the Mainland of China and the Macao Special Administrative Region only), Hong Kong Seaman's Identity Book, Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes provided that the document is valid or the holder's limit of stay in Hong Kong has not expired. Travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements: "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified." Or "The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong. (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong)", and Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.

Mainland residents who wish to enter Hong Kong as a visitor for other purposes such as treating an illness, attending a funeral or participating in proceedings, etc are required to obtain an “Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao” (EEP) and an “endorsement for other purposes (Qita)” from the relevant Public Security Bureau Office.

If you are a Chinese resident of Taiwan, you should submit your application for an entry permit through one of the authorised airlines.

It normally takes four to six weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents to process a visa/entry permit application. An acknowledgement will be sent upon receipt of the application by the Immigration Department.

More Details

Chinese resident of Taiwan satisfying the following criteria can make use of this online service to apply for pre-arrival registration to visit the HKSAR:

    1. Were born in Taiwan; or
    2. Were born outside Taiwan but have been admitted to Hong Kong as a Taiwan resident before; AND
  1. Are not in possession of any travel document issued by other authorities outside Taiwan (except “Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents” (commonly known as “Tai Bao Zheng”), and Entry Permit issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR).

More Details

The registrant must hold a travel document valid for re-entry to Taiwan for at least six months when making a pre-arrival registration as well as upon arrival immigration clearance in the HKSAR.

If the registration is successful, registrant should print the “Notification Slip for Pre-arrival Registration for Taiwan Residents” (the notification slip) generated by the computer system on an A4 size blank white paper. Registrant must check the inputted data on the notification slip to confirm they are true and correct and tally with those of his/her travel document for re-entry to Taiwan before signing on the notification slip. For a registrant who is under 16 years of age, either his/her parent or legal guardian must check the inputted data and sign on the notification slip.

More Details

You may apply for the appropriate visa or entry permit from the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission
More Details (visit visa applications from Indian nationals should be submitted to the HKSAR Immigration Department direct).

As an alternative, you may also submit your visa or entry permit application to the HKSAR Immigration Department either directly by post or through a local sponsor. To shorten the processing time, application forms and supporting documents can be sent by fax to (852) 2824 1133 in the first instance. However, the original copy of the duly completed application form and the photographs required should be sent immediately to the HKSAR Immigration Department by air mail. A visa/entry permit will be issued only on receipt of an original, properly completed visa/entry permit application form.

The form can be downloaded via this link:
Download Form

A detailed Guidebook for Entry for Visit/Transit in Hong Kong can be obtained via:
Read More

A checklist of forms and documents required for the application can be found on page 8 of the Guidebook.

Countries Visa free period for visit not exceeding Visa always needed
Australia 90 Days -
Canada 90 Days -
France 90 Days -
India 14 Days Pre-arrival registration required%
Indonesia 30 Days -
Korea (Republic of) 90 Days -
Kyrgyzstan - Visa Required#
Lebanon - Visa Required
Malaysia 90 Days -
Mauritius 90 Days -
New Zealand 90 Days -
Philippines 14 Days -
(holders of Serbian biometric passports only)
14 Days -
(holders of Serbian non-biometric passports or Serbian passports issued by the Coordination Directorate in Belgrade)
- Visa Required
Singapore 90 Days -
Sri Lanka - Visa Required^
Thailand 30 Days -
United States 90 Days -
Vietnam - Visa Required


* All nationals are required to hold a valid visa for the HKSAR for whatever purpose (including those who are in transit and remain on the airside).

^ All nationals (except holders of Diplomatic and Official passports) are required to hold a valid visa for the HKSAR for whatever purpose (including those who are in transit and remain on the airside). Holders of Diplomatic and Official passports may visit the HKSAR visa-free for a stay not exceeding 14 days.

# Holders of Diplomatic and Official passports may visit the HKSAR visa-free for a stay not exceeding 14 days.

% Indian nationals are required to apply for and successfully complete pre-arrival registration (PAR) online before they can visit the HKSAR visa free. (PAR link:

Read more on Part II

Follow us on